Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Devil's Rock will premiere at Cannes



I’ve learned today that The Devil’s Rock will be screening at the Cannes Film Festival market on May 13th and May 15th.

Obviously this is pretty exciting. The market screenings at Cannes are part of the business operation – very useful for attracting distributors, critics, buyers and so forth, but they’re also open to everyone at the festival, so they tend to receive an awful lot of of attention.

I'm not a stranger to seeing my material on screen. I wrote for ITV's The Bill for several years in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but The Devil’s Rock is only the second of my horror movie scripts to go all the way to production, so I'm pretty over the moon about all the interest that this one is already attracting.

It takes us back to 1944 and tells the tale of an Allied commando raid in the Channel Islands on the eve of the Normandy invasion, which uncovers a Nazi plot to unleash demonic powers. I wrote the script over the winter of 2009/2010, and it was directed last summer by Paul Campion (pictured below on set, courtesy of Guernsey Press), who is already a veteran of such movie blockbusters as Lord Of The Rings and King Kong, but who also won much praise for his acclaimed shorts, Night Of The Hell Hamsters and the multi-award winning Eel Girl.

My understanding is that post-production on The Devil's Rock is now almost complete, and that we should have our first trailer sometime in the next two or three weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Great news, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a nerve-wracking time, Glyn. Sound mixing is now complete, and the special effects are 97% done. It seems an awful long time since I was writing the script in my head while walking the dog two snowy Christmasses ago.

    ReplyDelete